Sunday, February 24, 2008

All Aboard the Stoner Express!

Following on that theme about anticipated stoner movies, it's worth mentioning Pineapple Express. I was watching Superbad - first time since the theater - and the special features included the trailer (sorry can't embed). Got me all fired up and bubbling with excitement! The script is by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who grew up best buds and wrote Superbad together. In fact, they starting writing Superbad when they were 13, and probably one (or both) of them were still in the cock-a-doodle-ing phase themselves.

I'm pumped about seeing Seth Rogen together with James Franco again. I was pretty crushed that Freaks and Geeks didn't make it past one season. It was the same hurt I felt as I worked my way through Undeclared on DVD realizing all the while that it was a finite pleasure. It was like falling in love when you know there's a shelf-life on the relationship... when your new lover is about to get shipped off to war - or college. It makes the feelings so intense but bittersweet.

Not-so-randomly, the name Pineapple Express also reefers to a meteorological phenomenon like a warm El Nino blowing off Hawaii. My pot-sulation is that there's a real strain of weed named for the event. Certainly if there wasn't before, dealers are definitely going to be naming weed after this movie. Another case of life imitating art imitating nature.


The pineapple bong. Tasty.
(from CollegeHumor)

No comments: