Sunday, January 6, 2008

Grilled cheese - art and science

Grilled cheese is one of those god-given pleasures that is very hard to get wrong. There are so many types of pleasures and additions that can really make a grilled cheese something special. There's a video on MSN about a $50 grilled cheese made with Fontina and truffles... that's definitely one way to go. There's sharp cheddar with some smoked turkey or tomato... mouthwatering.

I've enjoyed making grilled cheese in the waffle iron, lean-mean Foreman machine, frying pan and even under a broiler (more cheese toast than grilled that way). Really it's all fair-game except for the microwave. Don't bother with grilled cheese in a microwave- it's too easy to go all rubbery that way. Cheese can be microwaved on triscuits, but not more than 15 seconds for a plateful.

Butter is an absolutely essential component of successful grilled cheese - and about the only essential component. Butter on both sides of the bread is a great idea and buttering one side and then flipping it over is my preferred approach.

Today, I found myself without any butter and some good bread and cheese and a healthy case of the muncheese. My lady friend convinced me that the restaurant she used to work at would use mayonnaise. I was doobious, but a thin coat on the outside of the bread formed a perfect crust. I would definitely give this a shot in the frying pan. Haven't given it a whirl in the waffle iron yet. If you give it a try, keep the heat on medium and try not to let it smoke :)

No comments: